Arrangement - write a problems paragraph
This is the structure of a problems paragraph
This is the simple version, for your first two essay projects
First, read the GREEN example paragraph of each essay
Basic arrangement and style
This paragraph should have 12 sentences minimum
Each sentence should be 10 words absolute minimum, but 15 is better.
This is the simple version - just copy and change.
For more advanced options, see the bottom
- Problems paragraph P
- Sentence 1: "This paragraph looks at three ways in which production of X causes problems - KEYWORD 1, KEYWORD 2, and KEYWORD 3."
- Sentence 2: "The first problem is KEYWORD 1"
- Sentence 3: Detail sentence of KEYWORD 1 (APA reference).
- Sentence 4: LINK WORD + second detail sentence of KEYWORD 1 (APA reference).
- Sentence 5: "The second problem is KEYWORD 2"
- Sentence 6: Detail sentence of KEYWORD 2 (APA reference).
- Sentence 7: LINK WORD + second detail sentence of KEYWORD 2 (APA reference).
- Sentence 8: "The third problem is KEYWORD 3"
- Sentence 9: Detail sentence of KEYWORD 3 (APA reference).
- Sentence 10: LINK WORD + second detail sentence sentences of KEYWORD 3 (APA reference).
- Sentence 11: Summary ("In summary, there are three main problems - KEYWORD1, KEYWORD2, and KEYWORD3 - of which the most serious is [CHOOSE ONE KEYWORD]. ")
- Sentence 12: Link to solutions paragraph ("However, the next paragraph examines some possible solutions to these issues. ")
What is a KEYWORD?
- Simple answer: use only noun or short noun phrase
- Advanced options: use keywords
What is a "LINK WORD"
- Tell me how your detail 1 and detail 2 sentences are connected
- e.g. "For example" or "However" or "In addition"
- See use cohesion
1) Add up to 3 more sentences
- If you have more to say, you could add more detail sentences
- No more than one per point (after sentence 4, 7, or 10)
- Maximum of 15 sentences total.
2) Try other sentence styles
There are other ways of writing each sentence.
- For example, your topic sentence:
- You could write instead "This paragraph looks at three ways in which people making X are experiencing problems - KEYWORD1, KEYWORD2, and KEYWORD3"
- For more examples, see write a paragraph topic sentence
- See Index - Style for options on various sentence types.