CEFR - Thematic development
From Council of Europe CEFR 2018 companion version with new descriptors: (link)
CEFR Category - Pragmatic
CEFR Subategory - Competence
- Can use the conventions of the type of text concerned with sufficient flexibility to communicate complex ideas in an effective way, holding the target readers attention with ease and fulfilling all communicative purposes.
- Can use the conventions of the type of text concerned to hold the target readers attention and communicate complex ideas. Can give elaborate descriptions and narratives, integrating sub themes, developing particular points and rounding off with an appropriate conclusion. Can write a suitable introduction and conclusion to a long, complex text. Can expand and support main points at some length with subsidiary points, reasons and relevant examples.
- Can develop an argument systematically with appropriate highlighting of significant points, and relevant supporting detail*. Can present and respond to complex lines of argument convincingly.
- Can follow the conventional structure of the communicative task concerned, when communicating his/her ideas. Can develop a clear description or narrative, expanding and supporting his/her main points with relevant supporting detail and examples. Can develop a clear argument, expanding and supporting his/her points of view at some length with subsidiary points and relevant examples*. Can evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of various options. Can clearly signal the difference between fact and opinion.
- Can clearly signal chronological sequence in narrative text. Can develop an argument well enough to be followed without difficulty most of the time*.
- Shows awareness of the conventional structure of the text type concerned, when communicating his/her ideas. Can reasonably fluently relate a straightforward narrative or description as a linear sequence of points.
- Can tell a story or describe something in a simple list of points.
- Can give an example of something in a very simple text using like or for example.