From Council of Europe CEFR 2018 companion version with new descriptors: (link)
CEFR Category - Linguistic
CEFR Subategory - Competence
- Has a good command of a very broad lexical repertoire including idiomatic expressions and colloquialisms; shows awareness of connotative levels of meaning.
- Has a good command of a broad lexical repertoire allowing gaps to be readily overcome with circumlocutions; little obvious searching for expressions or avoidance strategies. Can select from several vocabulary options in almost all situations by exploiting synonyms of even less common words. Has a good command of common idiomatic expressions and colloquialisms; can play with words fairly well. Can understand and use appropriately the range of technical vocabulary and idiomatic expressions common to his/ her area of specialisation.
- Can understand and use the main technical terminology of his/her field, when discussing his/her area of specialisation with other specialists.
- Has a good range of vocabulary for matters connected to his/her field and most general topics. Can vary formulation to avoid frequent repetition, but lexical gaps can still cause hesitation and circumlocution. Can produce the appropriate collocations of many words in most contexts fairly systematically. Can understand and use much of the specialist vocabulary of his/her field but has problems with specialist terminology outside of it.
- Has a good range of vocabulary related to familiar topics and everyday situations. Has a sufficient vocabulary to express him/herself with some circumlocutions on most topics pertinent to his/her everyday life such as family, hobbies and interests, work, travel, and current events.
- Has sufficient vocabulary to conduct routine, everyday transactions involving familiar situations and topics.
- Has a sufficient vocabulary for the expression of basic communicative needs. Has a sufficient vocabulary for coping with simple survival needs.
- Has a basic vocabulary repertoire of words and phrases related to particular concrete situations