What is a log?
- Read or listen to something in English.
- Take rough notes and tell your partner in class.
- After class, use the last section on the class log:
- tell me what you read
- tell me what you thought.
Why are we doing logs?
- Learn new words for an interesting topic
- Practice reading/listening for meaning
- Practice giving short presentations
- Practice leading a short discussion
What do I do?
1) Choose the thing you want to read/listen to
2) Read/Listen to it.
3) Take a note of the title.
4) Take basic handwritten notes.
- Follow the instructions for notes, but this is NOT an official RR, so:
- Do not type and print an outline
- Do not write a summary
- Do not prepare questions
- Do not write an APA reference
5) Think of a short "response". Tell me what you though
6) In class
- Present from your notes.
- Summarise the article
- Give a response
- I will check you have enough notes to give a 2 minute presentation
7) After class, submit it online
Use the link on the front page of this website
- Scroll down to "Listening and Reading Log" section. Copy in:
- What you did (book/news/lecture/SRA)
- The titlei
- Your summary "In this article/talk the author/speaker said/described"
- Your response "After reading/watching this article/talk, I....."
For more on summary writing, see write a summary sentence
For more on response writing, see write a response
At the end of semester, I will count and assign points.
See your syllabus for details on this