For this report, we will read an easy news article. We will practice:
- Finding a good article
- Reading news
- Taking notes
- APA references for internet news sources
- Typed RR only, not learning log:
- APA citation
- formatting written work
- Writing good discussion questions
Most students say they take 50-60 minutes to do this report.
1) Find a good news website in English
Visit websites for English news articles
- Choose a site.
- Choose an interesting section on the site
- The front page is often boring - maybe Technology or Society has more interesting stories
- Maybe choose something interesting for your major
- e.g. Engineering majors - look in "Environment" or "Technology"
- e.g. Economics majors - look in "Business"
- Choose an article.
- The "Simplified" category should not be used by some classes. Check your syllabus!
- Internet news (e.g. Yahoo) is often shorter and easier
- News indexes (Google, Reuters) are good for finding a topic
- Read critically
- Many newspapers are politically biased.
- Some are tightly controlled by different governments or groups.
- Try to read more than one source/side before you believe anything you read.
2) Find a good article
A good article is something INTERESTING your partner MIGHT NOT KNOW
- not "Tokyo Sky Tree Opens" (everyone knows the story already)
- not "Daisuke Matsui transfers to Slavia Sofia" (not everyone likes football)
3) Doing an RR outline? Follow the general instructions
- Instructions are here: outline
- APA reference for News Website is here: (link)
- APA for your Summary is here: use APA format in the text
- Remember! APA changes if you have a writer's name ("With name") or not ("No name")
Finished your RR outline? Remember!
- You can get up to 5 participation points for extra reading and listening.
- Check your syllabus for details
- You do not need to write a full RR outline to get participation points.
- Just log input instead.