Resources - class contract
1) I will come to class and do the work
- In this class, if you do the work and come to class, you will pass.
- You might not get a good grade, but you will get credit.
- Sounds easy, but every year many people fail for two main reasons:
- They don't do the work (multiple missing assignments)
- They can't wake up in the morning
So please be aware:
- In normal classes
- 1 m late = late
- 2 x late = absent
- 30m late = absent
- 7 times absent = FAIL (unless you have an official excuse, doctors note, etc)
- Online classes with no Zoom, just homework
- Present = do the homework
- Absent = homework missing or >1 week late
- Online classes with Zoom
- Present = In video class
- Present = NOt in video class, but emailed DURING class to say you are having problem ("My PC broke" is not an excuse if you only tell me 3 weeks later)
- ABsent = Not in video class, no email, no other good excuse (i.e. asleep!)
2) I will read my syllabus.
- It's here: Index - Schedules
- Check it regularly - things change.
- "I didn't know" is not an excuse for missing homework.
- If you can't find the homework or don't understand, ask Malc.
3) I know that participation is a large part of my grade
- I will make a participation plan of extra work and follow it to get points
- I will avoid losing points:
- Absent = -1 point (if you don't have a good reason)
- Late = -0.5 points (if you don't have a good reason)
- FOrget homework = -1 point
- Other things might also lose you a point
- sleeping in class after a warning (
- using phones in class after a warning
- speaking too much Japanese in class after a warning
4) If I need help, I will ask for it
- If we are learning online, email to arrange an online meeting.
- If we are in class, ask in class or come to office hours
6) I won't use translation software or plagiarise (copy paste)
I will explain this in class, but in summary:
If it's 3am and your essay is due at 9am and you can't finish, then:
- Don't use Google Translate
- Don't copy-paste from the internet.
- Instead, email me and ask for an extension!