This information is also on the sheet from class 1.
Why do a quickwrite?
You need practice typing and thinking quickly in English.
It helps you change English you know (but can't use) into English you can use.
How fast do you need to type?
- On a 300 word iBT TOEFL essay
- if you type at 10wpm, you have no time to think or plan
- at 20 wpm, you have time to plan
- 30 wpm is better
- Most office workers average 40wpm.
- Secretarial/Receptionist work often requires 60wpm.
- The fastest typist in the world is over 200 wpm.
So - it depends on what you need.
How to do a quickwrite
Usually you will type your quickwrite
However, QW1 in class is by hand
1)Download the QW template and prepare it.
- The code is "QW" (QW1, QW2, QW3, etc).
- Choose a topic: quickwrite topics
- The title is the topic.
2)Set your timer for 10 minutes.
- Think for 1 minute
- Start writing
- No stopping! No dictionaries!
- Don't worry about grammar or spelling!
- Do try to follow paragraph basics though
- Change the topic if you need to
3)After 10 minutes, STOP and count your words
- Use "Word Count"
- Do not count name/title!
- Write your word count on your namecard
- If your word count is under the minumum, keep going:
- keep going until you hit the minimum
- Record both numbers:
- e.g. "103 words (88 words in 10 minutes)"
Minimum Word Count
If you do less than the following, you have NOT done your homework.
|Time ||Typed C/D ||Typed GCP|
|QW 1-10 ||100 words minimum ||100|
|QW 11-20 ||150 words minimum ||150|
|QW 21-43 ||200 words minimum ||200|
|QW 1-10 (Fall) ||200 words minimum ||200|
|QW 11-20 ||225 words minimum ||250|
|QW 21-43 ||250 words minimum ||300|
If you are taking too long to do longer quickwrites, then:
A) Work on your typing
B) Plan your quickwrite more carefully before you start
C) If the above doesn't work, tell me.
4) Submit your QW online
I will tell you how to do this in a later class
5) In class we will:
- Switch and read your partners QW. Discuss
- I will check you met the minimum length
- Under the minimum word count: NG stamp
- At the end of term, I will check your QW
- Under the minimum for the term: NG stamp
- More than the minimum for the term: OK stamps
Having problems typing?
- Under 200 wpm? Your problem is typing skill, not English.
- There are some websites that can help
- Take lessons: (link)
- Practice for speed with a car game: (link)
- Practice for speed by zapping aliens: (link)
Beat my high score at the Alien game (2042) and take a screenshot - I will give you a bonus point!