1) If I need help I will ask for it
|Excuse me? ||Once more please. ||Please speak slowly.|
|What does "dog" mean? ||How can I say "犬"? ||How do you spell "dog"?|
|I don't know. ||I don't understand. ||I can't find.... |
|Could you give an example? ||Could you explain that again? ||Teacher, the screen is off! |
If you have bigger problem or a longer question:
When you ask a question
- Call me "Malc" when talking to me
- When writing an email, use "Hi Malc,"
- "Mr Prentice" is correct, but too formal for this class
- To get my attention, say "Excuse me" or "Malc?"
"Mr Malc," or "Prentice," don't work in English
- Also, please don't call me
2) I will come to class, and come on time.
|1m after bell ||= late ||(if I have to pick up your namecard)|
|> 15 mins after bell ||= absent ||(unless you have a train slip, etc)|
|2 x late ||= 1 x absent |
|> 6 absences ||= fail ||(unless you have a kouketsu, doctor's note, etc)|
In some classes, you can be absent up to 1/3 of the course
In THIS class, you will fail if you miss 7
3) I will do all the homework
90 minute class = 90 minutes of homework. No excuses!
|"I didn't know the homework" ||Ask a friend, check the syllabus, email me, or come in office hours!|
|"I left my homework at home" ||Use Dropbox|
|"The printer broke" ||Printers always break. Print at least 1hr before class!|
4) I have bookmarked a copy of the online class syllabus.
- Check it if you are absent, in case of changes
- All homework is listed
5) I understand the syllabus assessment section, and the importance of OK and NG points.
You must earn OK points to get a high grade
- See your syllabus for how to earn points. If you have a question, ask me.
- You can't earn participation OK points for doing the minimum!
- For example, if I ask you to do 28 quickwrites:
- If you do 28, nothing happens
- If you do < 28, you LOSE points
- If you do > 28, you EARN points
You must also avoid NG points:
- being absent: 1 absent = 1 NG (plus 7 = fail!)
- being late: 2 late = 1 NG
- Forgetting homework (QW, Vocab, Essay, etc)
- Forgetting your textbook
- Not participating, including:
- Speaking too much Japanese
- Not speaking when I say "discuss" times
- Using your phone (except for dictionary, topic research)
6) I will keep my work organised
Buy a 40 pocket A4 clear folder
|Page 1 ||Course Syllabus|
|Page 2 ||Your self-access sheets (EF, CCC, WC, iBT, GV)|
|Page 3-5 ||Quickwrites QW1-QW10, QW11-QW20, QW21-QW30, etc|
|Page 6-8 ||Vocab sheets V1-V10, V11-V20, V21-V28|
|Page 9-11 ||A (all paper outlines and drafts)|
|Page 12-15 ||B (all paper outlines and drafts)|
|Page 16-19 ||C (all paper outlines and drafts)|
|Page 20+ ||All Reports (RR)|
|BACK ||This manual, and any other worksheets I give you.|
Don't waste your partner's time digging through a messy folder!
At the end of term, ALL vocab sheets must be printed. No sheet, no point.
7) I know I will get an automatic D/E if I use translation software, ignore written feedback, or plagiarise
Don't use translation software
- e.g. Google translate, Line translate.
- It's OK for words (as a dictionary), but terrible for sentences.
- Basically, don't copy-paste!
- Learn more here: recognise and avoid plagiarism
- Plagiarism in final draft = automatic E first time, fail course second time