1) Get ready
- Read the question carefully
- Download and read the templates and examples
2) Invention - collect ideas and research.
- At least 3 points per paragraph (e.g. 3 problems, 3 solutions)
- If you can't find 3 good points, your idea is bad. Change it!
- Share your research in class
4) Style - express your ideas clearly
5) Check it yourself
6) Check it with a partner in class
7) Check it with the writing centre
- Fix any problems your partner found, and take it to the WC
- For some classes/tasks, this is required
- If it is required, it will be on your weekly schedule
- For other classes/tasks this is just recommended
8) Check it with me
- Fix ALL mistakes your partner/writing centre tutor found
- Email your next draft to me
- Email me ALL versions: 1, 2, and (if you did writing centre), 3
Using Microsoft Word comments
- If you can't see comments, check under "review" and turn on "Show Comments
- Comments are cut off. Use the Review Pane
- "Review bar", "Reviewing Pane"
- I will show you this in class
If you have questions
- If you have a question about my commentsand you are at home, email me.
- Copy paste at least 3 lines of text.
- Word will copy and number the comments.
- Ask me a specific question about a specific number
- e.g. "I've tried to fix MP7. Is this OK?"
- e.g. "Can you explain MP13 again?"
- Try to ask a specific question - not just "Help me" or "I don't understand".
- Read the comments carefully.
- DO not email me until you have TRIED to understand and fix the problem.
- Question that show you haven't read the comment make me sad!
- You can also ask me a question in class or in office hours.
- However, we don't have much time in class.
- Try to ask most questions by email or in office hours.
- To ask a question in class or in office hours:
- either bring a printout
- or show it to me on your phone/tablet/laptop
8)Email me your final draft for grading
i.e. version 3 (if you did writing centre, version 4)
- FIX the comment and DELETE the comment
- If you ignore comments (e.g. B3 and B4 are the same), you wasted my time.
- Ignore my feedback = automatic D. (maximum)
- Fix ALL comments. If you do not understand, ASK me.