Study Skills - make a participation plan
By the end of this page, you will know
- What participation points are and how to get them
- How to manage your own study outside of class
What are participation points?
- You WIN points mostly by doing extra work and trying new things
- You LOSE points mostly by missing work/class
- There are many ways to score points
- YOU choose how to get participation points
- Not everything is available online. Read Online 2020 notes
Option 1: Score "try it" points
- Try useful things around the university
- Maximum one point each!
- Don't attend a Global Village where that language is your first language!
- If Japanese is not your first language, ask me about Nihongo Dojo
- I might change the maximum points for each thing above - I will tell you in class if I do
Option 2: WLC/SAC/University events
Online 2020 - none available online so far
- ALL WLC SAC events score a point.
- To get a point, show me the event stamp
- Event stamps are on the BACK of your EF sheet
- Examples include:
- GLS (Global Lecture Series, once a term)
- WLC SAC Festival (Fall)
- Game Jam (occasional)
- Drama workshop (occasional)
- Other OK, but check with me first that it is WLC
- For other university English events, I PROBABLY give points:
- ASK me first so I can decide if it is worth a point
- I will tell you how you can prove you participated well
- Wait until I teach how to do a quickwrite in class
- You get points for doing MORE than the minimum (25)
- 1 point for each 3 EXTRA quickwrites
- 5 points max for EXTRA quickwrites
- (5x3= 15 EXTRA quickwrite maximum)
- Usually, 25 NORMAL + 15 EXTRA = maximum 40 TOTAL
- Spring 2020, 25 normal + 30 extra = maximum 55 total for 10 participation points.
- All quickwrites, minimum or extra, must be > minimum word count
Option 4: ALC Net Academy
How to lose points
Online 2020: Lose a point if a) submit homework late or b) miss a Zoom class (but it's OK if you email me before deadline or during class if you have a problem)
- If you don't attend, you aren't participating
- Being absent (-1 point)
- Being late (-0.5 points)
- Max is -7 points, because more than that and you fail the course anyway
- NG point (-1, no max)
- Forget homework in class, not even in Drive
- Homework (essay draft) submitted late online
- Missing homework at end of term e.g. only 22 QW
- Sleeping in class after a warning
- Talking too much Japanese in class after a warning
- Using phone in class after warning
- dictionary, research, OK
- reading email etc not OK
To avoid forgetting homework or running out of time:
- Read everything above
- Make a plan that gets you 10 points
- e.g. "I will do 15 extra quickwrites (5 points), two full ALC tests (4 points) and two half ALC tests (1 point)"
- e.g. "We are online, so I just plan to do 30 extra quickwrites"
- e.g. "We are online, so I will use ALC (2 full tests, 1 half tests = 5 points), one Office hour (1 point), and 12 extra QW (4 points).
- If you lose a point, change your plan e.g. "I lost a point, so I will now need to do 15 quickwrites instead of 12"
- If you change your mind, change your plan e.g. "I hate ALC - I'm going to do more EF instead"
- Be ready to show me your plan when I ask