Study Skills - make a participation plan
By the end of this page, you will know
- What participation points are and how to get them
- How to manage your own study outside of class
What are participation points?
- You WIN points mostly by doing extra work and trying new things
- You LOSE points mostly by missing homework/class
- There are at least 18 possible points. Just choose 10!
- If you're absent or late, do more than 10 to get lost points back.
- TO get points, post a photo of the proof into your Google Classroom "Participation Plan"
Option 1: Score "try it" points
- Try useful things around the university
- Maximum one point each!
- See "Participation Plan Template" for screenshot examples. Follow carefully.
|What you do ||How to do it ||How to prove it|
|How to prove it|
|English Forum (EF) ||use the Self Access Centre ||VIP card(EF 印鑑) ||PLAS booking screenshot|
|Writing Centre (WC) ||use the Self Access Centre ||VIP card(WC 印鑑) ||PLAS booking screenshot|
|Speaking Test Centre ||use the Self Access Centre ||VIP card(SC 印鑑) ||PLAS booking screenshot|
|Global Village (GV) ||use the Self Access Centre ||VIP card(GV 印鑑) ||PLAS booking screenshot|
|Try Quizlet ||See scratchpad ||X ||I will confirm later. |
|WLC-SAC Event/Lecture/Festival ||See PLAS or in-class announcements ||Ask - depends on event ||Ask - depends on event |
|Early term office hour||Email BEFORE mid-term for an appointment ||No need - I'll be there ||No need - I'll be there |
- Is Japanese your second language? Nihongo Dojo is also 1 point. No point for GV in your own language though!
- No points for office hours after mid term. It's for asking question, not scrambling for last-minute point.
- No points for ECR - not enough staff. Only go if you have an actual question
- See use the Self Access Centre for information on each centre
- Wait until I teach how to do a quickwrite in class
- You get points for doing MORE than the minimum (25)
- 1 point for each 3 EXTRA quickwrites
- 5 points max for EXTRA quickwrites
- All quickwrites, minimum or extra, must be > minimum word count
Option 3: Official TOEIC or TOEFL test (max 3 points)
- If TOEIC is required
- (e.g. I'm giving you 5%, or another teacher is requiring it)
- Then, you can't get participation points for a required test
- To get participation points, do a SECOND test (TOEIC or TOEFL) and submit TWO screenshots
- If TOEIC is NOT required:
- I'll give you 3 participation points for doing it.
In either case, prove it using screenshot(s) in your participation plan, showing name and date.
Option 4: ALC Net Academy (max 5 points)
- See use ALC NetAcademy
- New 2020 Fall low scores (<30%) and unrealistic "time needed" are not accepted. Put some effort in or you won't get the point!
How to lose participation points (aka NG points)
If you do these things, you aren't participating:
- Being absent (-1 point)
- Being late (-0.5 points)
- Forgetting homework we need for class
- Submitting ungraded homework late
- Sleeping in class after a warning
- Using too much Japanese in class after a warning
- Using phone in class after warning
- dictionary, research, showing photo of your dog OK
- reading email, Line, etc not OK
Online 2020: email if you have a technical problem.
- No email + late to Zoom = late.
- Email + late to Zoom = OK.
To avoid forgetting homework or running out of time:
- Read everything above
- Make a plan that gets you 10 points
- e.g. "15 extra quickwrites (5 points), plus 1 for EF, 1 for WC, 1 for GV, 1 for ALC, and 1 for for the official TOEIC test"
- e.g. "30 extra quickwrites" (30 allowed in 2020, but usually max 15)
- You can change your plan later
- e.g. "I hate ALC - I'm going to do more EF instead"
- e.g. "I was absent (-1), so I will do 18 quickwrites instead of 15 (+1)"
- Submit your "Participation Plan Template" for checking, then again at end of semester for grading