Study Skills - use Google Drive
1) Do not confuse normal Gmail and soka-u.jp. Please use YOUR soka-u.jp address to share a document with MY soka-u.jp address
2) Only share when I ask you to. If you are using Google Drive but I ask you to send a Microsoft Word document, "Download as" an Office file (docx) and EMAIL it
3) Most templates convert fine between Word and Drive. Tables and figures especially sometimes go wrong. Check them before you send in a new format
If I ask you to share your draft using Drive:
1)Start your documemt
- (option A - start in Google Drive)
- Find the Template for Essay in the "Google Docs Versions" folder in the "Templates" folder of the "Shared Materials" folder
- Right click, "Make a copy"
- Find the copy in your drive and rename it (Hiroko Sato - GMW - B2)
- (option B - start in Microsoft Word)
- If you already started using Micrsosft Word, upload it.
- If conversions are off you will see an icon with a "w". Convert it. See “How to convert from Word to Docs” below
- Check it is named properly
- If conversions are on you will see an icon with lines. Open it and check it looks OK before sharing.
2) Share it
- share with my soka-u.jp address NOT soka.ac.uk or gmail.com
- It's probably automatic, but make sure I have editing access
- Make sure “notify” is checked.
- Remember to add your email text in the comments box when sharing.
3) Fix your notifications
- Every time I comment you will get an email. If your settings are wrong this is annoying.
- You can turn off all comments OR turn them off for this document
- Instructions to turn them off: (link)
- I will make comments
- When I am finished, I will email you "Done"
- Please fix all problems
- Right click, mark them "Resolved"
- If you cannot open your document, do not "request access"
- it's your document, you're just not logged in to the right account
- Log in to soka-u.jp
6) Ask questions
- If you have a question about my comment, you can click on the comment and reply. It will email me.
- DO NOT ABUSE THIS FUNCTION - if all 60 students everyone asks "Is this OK" about each of their 100 essay comments, I will get 6000 emails.
- Please only ask if you do not understand the comment
- Please only ask if you cannot ask in the class periods marked "Review feedback"
- Please only ask 3 questions max. If you have more, come to office hours.
- I might not have PC access outside of work hours. Try to ask questions that I can answer using thumbs on a phone on a train. Anything more complicated, come to office hours.
How to convert Word to Drive.
1) FInd the Word file in Drive
2) Right click
3) “Open as” (second option down)
4) Select Google Doc
5) “File”, “Save as Google Docs”
6) CLose the Word files
7) Find the new file (blue with 3 lines, not blue with “w”)
8) Now share THAT new file with me.
Google Drive tweaks
Q: How do I remove the header and footer when printing?
A: Under "File" - "Print", choose "Minimum" under "Margins"
Q: How do I turn on spellcheck for English?
A: Under "File", select "Language" and choose an English
Q: How do I get outline numbering for RR outlines?
A: Under "Format", "Numbered List" choose the one that has I, II, III, IV.
Q: How to I fix Burasage?
A: Format = Align and Indent - Indentation Options - Hanging - 1.27cm (0.5 inches)