We're going to practice negotiating language.
Task 1: trade with your partner for something
Task 2: Monopoly
The rules are similar to "Jinsei Game". I will explain in class.
- Your turn.
- Is it my turn?
- Can you move my token 3 squares? It's the boot.
- Can you pass me a chance card?
- Can you pass the dice?
- I'd like to buy this property please
- That's mine. Please pay $32 ("32 dollars") rent
- Here you are.
- Would you like to buy it?
- Here you are.
- If you want to get out of jail, you can pay...
Proposal (offer, suggestion)
- If you X I will Y (high chance of X)
- If you Xed I would Y (low chance of X)
- If I X, will you
- If I Xed, would you
- I'll give you two choices - either X or Y
- I propose we VERB
- How about we VERB
- Would it be possible to X
- How would you feel if we Xed...
- Do you think you could consider Xing
- How about you do X and I do Y?
Checking at the end of a long proposal
- Is that OK with you?
- How does that sound?
- Would that work?
Clarifying a proposal
- So, you mean....
- XXXX - that's correct, isn't it?
- Could you just summarise that for me one more time?
- Can you give me an example?
- So what I think you're saying is X. Is that right?
Asking for more room or time
- Can you give me some time to talk to my partner?
- I'll have to check with my boss
- Are you flexible on that number?
- Would you be willing to...
- Could we compromise on...
- I'm sorry, but that doesn't work for us.
- I don't think that's going to work.
- I'm afraid we can't do that.
- Unfortunately, that's not quite...
- That's a fair offer, but...
- I'm sorry, but we can't accept that.
- That would be quite difficult.
- I believe we have a deal!
- That's sounds reasonable. Let's do it.
Accepting with conditions
- Done, but only on the condition that X.
- OK, but we're going to have to insist that...
- As long as X, then we have a deal.
- We would be willing to accept that only if
Use one of these plus another offer phrase:
- May I offer an alternative?....
- THat might work. But perhaps
- OK, just to check. You will... and we will...
- SO, what we agreed on was to X and Y
- Let's just summarise...
- It was a pleasure doing business with you.