- This page is for a PERSONAL response
- FOr a reflection paper
- SOmething you say at the end of an RR presentation
- This page is NOT for FORMAL responses in essays - for that see write a summary-response
First write a summary sentence
See write a summary sentence
NEXT, write a personal response. Tell me:
- What you thought after reading
- What it made you think
- What it made you want to do
- Something you liked/disliked
- My favourite bit was when the speaker/author/main character said...
- My favourite quote was "...", because
- I liked/disliked it when...
- Something you thought/realised
- It made me think...
- It reminded me of...
- I realised that
- Something you decided
- After reading this, I want to...
- Watching this made me want to...
- It made me realise that I should...
- Something you agree/disagree with
- I don't agree with the author/speaker because...
- I agree with the author/speaker because...
- Something you learned
- This article/video taught me that
- Before, I didn't know that
- I learned that
- Something about your learning experience
- This material was too easy/difficult/long/short, so next time I will ...
- The words I learned weren’t very useful for my major/life, so next time I will ...
- My time management was bad for this homework, so next time I will...
- I had problems understanding this - my weak point was ..... so next time I will...
What is a good response?
- AT LEAST 250 characters
- shows you understood and thought about what you read/heard:
- Both a summary AND a response.
- This was an interesting idea, and I agree with this author
- I learned about types of galaxies
- This article said that they sell typical products from around Japan.
- I liked this article.
Style for summarising readings vs lectures
- For readings
- Use "author" for someone you read.
- Use "book" or "article" for the thing.
- Use "read" as he verb (After reading / After I read)
- For lectures
- Use "speaker" for someone you heard.
- Use "lecture" or "talk" for the thing.
- Use "watched" or "saw" as verbs (After watching / After I watched)
- For songs
- Use "singer/band"
- Use "song"
- Use "listened to" as he verb (After I listened to)