A response is not a summary. In order to log input you need to do both
- First write a summary sentence
- NEXT, do this response. Tell me:
- What you thought after reading
- What it made you think
- What it made you want to do
- Something you liked/disliked
- My favourite bit was when the speaker/author/main character said...
- My favourite quote was "...", because
- I liked/disliked it when...
- Something you thought/realised
- It made me think...
- It reminded me of...
- I realised that
- Something you decided
- After reading this, I want to...
- Watching this made me want to...
- It made me realise that I should...
- Something you agree/disagree with
- I don't agree with the author/speaker because...
- I agree with the author/speaker because...
- Something you learned
- This article/video taught me that
- Before, I didn't know that
- I learned that
- Something about your learning experience
- This material was too easy/difficult/long/short, so next time I will ...
- The words I learned weren't very useful for my major/life, so next time I will ...
- My time management was bad for this homework, so next time I will...
- I had problems understanding this - my weak point was ..... so next time I will...
- For readings
- Use "author" for someone you read.
- Use "book" or "article" for the thing.
- Use "read" as he verb (After reading / After I read)
- For lectures
- Use "speaker" for someone you heard.
- Use "lecture" or "talk" for the thing.
- Use "watched" or "saw" as verbs (After watching / After I watched)
- For songs
- Use "singer/band"
- Use "song"
- Use "listened to" as he verb (After I listened to)
What is a good response?
- AT LEAST 100 characters
- shows you understood and thought about what you read/heard:
- A response with your opinion, not just a summary (summaries are for your typed RR report)
Some example responses. Which are good?
- I learned about the structure of aurora from this book - it was great because before I didn't know how they happened. I was glad to learn this, and increase my knowledge
- Before I read this SRA card, I knew that there are some kinds of galaxy, but I learned about the different types. I want to know more because I belong to an astronomy club.
- After reading this article, I want to open a café in my hometown to promote special products such as strawberries, so I really want to go to engawa cafes and get ideas
- I learned that sustainability is important, because resources are limited, and I would like to work to solve environmental problems in the future.
- The main character could get his dream, to be a farmer. Reading this book made me want to do my favorite thing for my job too.
- After reading this article, I realised I should eat more fruit and vegetables, because they provide my body valuable vitamins and minerals.
- This was an interesting idea, and I agree with this author
- I learned about types of galaxies
- This article said that they sell typical products from around Japan.
- I liked this article.
6) In class
- Present from your notes.
- Summarise the article
- Give a response
- I will check you have enough notes to give a 2 minute presentation
7) After class, submit it online
Use the link on the front page of this website
- Scroll down to "Listening and Reading Log" section. Copy in:
- What you did (book/news/lecture/SRA)
- The titlei
- Your summary "In this article/talk the author/speaker said/described"
- Your response "After reading/watching this article/talk, I....."
For more on summary writing, see write a summary sentence
For more on response writing, see write a response
At the end of semester, I will count and assign points.
See your syllabus for details on this