1) Find the recommended word list
- The vocabulary sheet link will be posted in Google Classroom.
- That is YOUR copy - you can edit it.
- I will explain the lists in class.
2) Choose words to learn
- Read down the list
- Find lines you do not know.
- COpy them into your own blank sheet
- Keep going until you have enough words
- Unless I tell you otherwise, learn 10 words per class
- Don’t just copy, study!
- Any method is OK. For example:
- Just study your list
- Use Word cards (単語カード)
- Write sentences
- Copy each word 10 times
- Upload your list to Memrise
- Upload your list to Quizlet
- Any method is OK, but also keep the original list
- Your partner needs a list to test you in class
- We need a list at the end of term to make your final test
4) Homework Checks and Assessment
- I will check V1. No points, just feedback.
- I will check your vocab homework at Mid Term
- (see schedule for date)
- Missing words = minus 1 point
- You will test you partner in class every week
- no minus points,
- but scoring 2/10 is maybe embarrassing!
- End of term test.
- I will check you have all words
- See syllabus for date and % of your grade
- Missing word = 0 points
- I will test 10 words randomly chosen from all your words.
- 5 words Japanese-English translation
- 5 words English-Japanese translation
- One spelling mistake OK (not two)
- Must be correct POS (品詞)
- Translations with same meaning OK
Advanced class options
- Finished the lists?
- Use other lists (e.g. TOEFL)
- Read articles from your major or interests. Choose your own words.
- Do extra reading logs instead (ask me first).
Also, one word = many words. Can you use all of them?
- “analyse” (n) analyse, analysed, analysing
- “analysis” (v) analyser, analysers, analyses, analysis, analyst, analysts
- “analytic” (adj) analytic, analytical
- “analytically” (adv) analytically
- UK spellings analyze, analyzed, analyzes, analyzing, etc