Project - Book Summary
We are going to read a fiction (作り話/フィクション) book. Then we will write summary about it.
Step 1: Homework 1 - get a book and read it
- Must be fiction
- Must be a graded reader
- Read the book and take notes.
- Try to finish the book this week, but if you don’t it’s OK.
- Prepare to answer the questions below
Step 2: In class, ASK your partners about their book
Ask and answer as many of these questions as you can:
- What is the title?
- Who wrote it?
- What YEAR was it written?
- Who is the hero / MC / 主人公
- What is the main character
- Where is it set?
- Who are the other characters (and how are they connected)?
- How did it start?
- What was the main problem?
- What happened then? (2-3 main events max)
- Was there a moral (教訓)?
- Is the book good, overall? (adjective/形容詞)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- J.K. Rowling
- Harry Potter
- a magical school called Hogwarts
- Voldemort (enemy), Ron, Hermione (friends), Lupin (teacher),
- Went to school, saw dog
- Dementors, Scabbers
- patronus, reveal identity, win
- to not judge people by their appearances
Example Arrangement / Template
This paragraph summarises a book called “1”, which was written by 2 in 3. It’s about 4, who is a 5, and is set in/at/on 6. The other characters are 7A (description), 7B (description) and 7C (description). At the beginning of the book, 8. However, 9. No spoilers, but 10. I think the moral of the story is that we should (not) 11. In summary, this was a 12 book, so you should (not) read it.
This paragraph summarises a book called “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban”, which was written by J.K. Rowling in 1999. It’s about Harry Potter, who is a wizard, and is set in a magical school called Hogwarts. The other characters are Ron (his friend), Hermione (another friend), Lupin (his godfather) and Voldemort (the enemy). At the beginning of the book, Harry as usual goes to school and takes classes. However, they learn that a prisoner called Sirius Black escaped and there are dementors everywhere. No spoilers, but they learn a new skill to defeat the enemy, and many secrets are revealed. I think the moral of the story is that we should not judge people by their appearances. In summary, this was an interesting book, so you should read it.
- “This paragraph”
- This is the Topic Sentence of the paragraph
- Because there is only one paragraph, and it describes the whole assignment it is also the thesis statement
- “In summary” - This is the summary or concluding sentence
- All other sentences in the middle are body or supporting sentences
- How many sentences in the template?
- How many words per sentence?
- Does each sentence use past (過去) or present tense (現在)?
Homework - start writing!
- Find the One Paragraph Template on Google Classroom
- Copy in the template above without breaking the font, etc.
- Write your sentences
- You will do a friend check next week