What is a quickwrite (QW)?
Quickwrite = How many words can you write in 10 minutes?
- QW only: I don’t check spelling or grammar!
- Let’s practice writing and thinking quickly in English
- Practice using words you know
- Practice sharing opinions
How to do a quickwrite
- Choose a topic
- Choose a topic from the list
- Any topic OK. Start easy (at top).
- Get Ready
- Set a timer for 10 minutes
- Wait! THINK and PLAN for 1 minute first
- Start your 10 minute timer and go!
- No stopping! No dictionaries! Don’t worry about grammar or spelling!
- Paragraph (段落) - not a list of sentences.
- After 10 minutes, STOP and count words
- Record your word count at bottom e.g. “(88 words)”
- QW too short?
- Keep going! 11 minutes! 12 minutes!
- Record both numbers e.g. “88 words in 10 minutes, 100 words in 12 minutes”
Minimum word count
- Level 3: 75 words in Spring, 125 words in Fall
- Level 1/2: 100 words in Spring, 150 words in Fall.
- If you do less, you have NOT done your homework.
- I will check at the beginning of term (no points, just checking)
- I will check homework at the Mid Term (Any missing/short QW = -1 participation)
- I will grade (10%) in WEEK 14 (Still any missing or short?-1 to QW score per problem)
- Problems thinking of ideas?
- Relax! - I’m not checking!
- Maybe plan for 1 minute more, or do a little reading on the topic.
- Change the topic a little (“last movie” -> “next movie”)
- In some classes (for exams, or if we are online), we will type. If typing is the problem
- Take lessons so you don’t get bad habits e.g. http://typingclub.com/
- Then play some typing games to get faster e.g. http://phoboslab.org/ztype/