Project - Endangered Animals Essay
Step 1: Choose an endangered animal
- Browse some animals
- Choose ONE animal
- Choose something INTERESTING we DO NOT KNOW (i.e. NOT the Giant Panda)
- Do NOT choose Narwhal (the example essay topic)
- Choose a SPECIFIC species (i.e. “Amur Tiger”, not just “Tiger”)
- Choose something endangered or vulnerable NOT extinct or extinct in wild.
Step 2 - Homework
- Read the example
- Read 3 articles about your animal.
- Japanese OK.
- Take notes.
- Focus on problems.
- If you can’t find 3 problems, change your topic.
- If you can’t find 3 solutions, change your topic.
- Find good sources
Step 3 - Read more and start writing
- Read three more articles.
- English only
- Take notes - enough detail to speak for 5 minutes on your topic
- This time, concentrate on description and solution responses.
Tips on Arrangement
We will write five paragraphs
- Write an Introduction Paragraph
- Write a Description Paragraph
- Write a Problems (Cause-Effect) paragraph - see also write a cause-effect paragraph
- Write a Solutions (Summary-Response) Paragraph
- Write a Conclusion paragraps
Tips for Invention
If you can’t find a problem in the articles you read, try searching for problem keywords AND the name of your animal.
Common problem keywords are
- habitat destruction
- climate change
- invasive species
- land animals mostly: hunting, or poaching(illegal hunting)
- sea animals mostly: bioaccumulation, bycatch, overfishing, boatstrike
- indirect problems (things that make the problem worse) conflict, corruption
- big mammals: traditional medicine
Common solution keywords are
- NGOs for animal (Save the Tiger), habitat (Mangrove Action PRoject), or general (WWF)
- Wildlife preserves
- Farmer compensation
- Sustainable Development
- Laws (national, international, trade agreements like CITES)
- Consumer awareness (if animal or habitat is part of food production) e.g. dolphin-safe tuna
Remember that your solutions and problems don’t need to match exactly. For example, fixing deforestation fixes hunting (no forest roads, less hunters).
Tips for Style
- You’re talking about ALL of an animal group.
- You can talk about the animalS or THE species. Don’t mix
- Plurals or ‘the’.
- Emperor penguins enjoy eating ice cream
- Emperor penguins
enjoyseating ice cream
- The Emperor penguin enjoys eating ice cream
Emperor penguinenjoys eating ice cream
- Emperor penguins eat fish, so they like sushi a lot
- Emperor penguins eat fish, so
it likessushi a lot
- The Emperor penguin eats fish, so it likes sushi a lot
- The Emperor penguin eats fish, so
they likesushi a lot
- Capitals for place names NOT for animal name
- Amur tiger, Siberian tiger, Malaysian elephant, Bornean orangutan
amur Tiger, siberian tiger, Malaysian Elephant, Bornean Orangutan
- Avoid definitions for animals that are defined by name
- “The Saola is a kind of deer that lives in Vietnam”
“The Siberian tiger is a kind of tiger that lives in Siberia”
- Use partition instead for animals, use the family and a different fact
- “There are seven kinds of tiger, of which the Siberian….”
- “The Siberian tiger is the only member of the big cat family which plays tennis”
Check the list of common mistakes
- Link is here