Projects - Plan a Trip for Someone
Problem solving group activity - plan a “dream trip” for someone. You have 30 mins to research, then you will present your ideas to the class.
- Polar bear
- “I want to see a polar bear in the wild”
- 10 days
- Any country with bears OK.
- Europe and a phobia
- “I want to see as much Europe as possible, but I hate flying, so I want to fly as little as possible”
- 30 days graduation trip
- Winter only
- Trains and buses preferred
- “I want to see my favourite football team play
- 10 days in Barcelona
- Include at least one game
- “I like weird attractions, and I’ll be in UCLA for a study abroad next semester”
- Two or three weekend trips, spread across a 3-4 month stay.
- Accessible from Los Angeles, 1-2 nights away maximum
- Examples of weird given “like mystery houses, haunted places, magnetic hills, that kind of thing”
- “I want to hand feed a red panda”
- 10 days
- No other requirement. Just feed a panda.
- Your own idea.
3) Research you could do to inform the trip
- Language: Is English enough? Or will you need phrasebook
- Customs: What customs/manners/cultural things do I need to know? What are people like?
- Packing: What do I need to take? (special clothes/medicine
- Warnings: Are there any dangers? (food/water/place/animal/diseases/people/time)
- Can you think of any more things you might need to know?
- Plane or train?
- Boarding / Departing / Arriving times.
- Commuting (i.e. how to get to airport)
- Other things you can do/eat/see/buy (as travel) while you are there
- Food and Drink
- Entry fees
- Permits and visas
- Is special insurance needed?
Research time: Recommended sites.
Here are some tools I use, you can try these if you’re not sure where to start.
- Finding Flights
- Google Flights
- Some budget airlines (“LCC”) don’t always appear in search, check them separately e.g. Easyjet (Europe)
- Finding trains
- Check Seat61
- Usually you book through individual country websites.
- FInding places to stay
- Finding things to do.
- Tripadvisor for top 10s in each area
- Atlas Obscura for unusual places
- Just google “top ten things to do in…”
- Other tools
Prepare your presentation
- “This trip’s focus is “
- “Before they leave, they should”
- “The itinerary is as follows”
- “The budget for the trip is $???, which is includes”