Project - Tower Building
- Materials: 5 sheets of A4 paper and 1m of tape
- Aim: Make the tallest tower you can.
- It should be “free standing”
- no taping it to wall/ceiling, not leaning on wall, no holding it
Step 1: Planning
Make a plan. Please use discussion language
- What should we do first?
- Why don’t we / We should
- I totally agree
- Suggested plan discussion questions
- How can we make it strong and tall?
- How many legs should we have?
- How many sheets should we use per leg? How about for the tower?
- Should we roll tightly or rolol loosely
- How should we use the tape?
- We don’t have much time. How should we share the work?
Step 2: Make your tower
- Use polite instruction language
- Hiroki, can you roll/fold
- Hiroko, can you give me 1cm of tape?
- Hiroki, while I X, can you Y?
- Can you hold this while I X?
- If it isn’t working, change the plan
- Oh no, our plan isn:t working. We should…
- Maybe we need to….
Step 3: Judge!
- I will measure your tower. Tallest one to not fall over wins!
Step 4: Review - practice giving advice
- Give advice to a future class.
- Think about design AND construction teamwork
- What went well? What should a future team do?
- What went badly? What shouldn’t a future team do?
- What language did you need that you didn’t know?
- e.g. Parts
- The base
- The braces
- e.g. Parts
Step 5: Recycle!
- Take a photo of your tower
- Destroy your tower carefully
- Use the paper or put it in the right bin