Style - Using Keywords, the main rules.
These rules are mostly for:
- Thesis statement “essay contents” lists
- Topic sentence “paragraph contents” lists
- The above, but repeated in summaries
- To use them easily, keywords should be
- Nouns (名詞）
- Single nouns “Secondly, pollution”
- Noun phrases “Secondly, lack of pollution”
- ING verbs (動名詞) “Secondly, reducing pollution”
- Question word phrases “Secondly, how to increase participation”
- DO NOT use:
- DO NOT MIX! All nouns, all verbs, try not to mix.
- OK: preparation, cooking, and decoration.
- OK: preparing, cooking, and decorating.
- OK: prepare, cook and decorate.
- OK: how to prepare, how to cook, and how to decorate
NO: how to prepare, cooking, and decoration
- DO NOT WRITE FULL SENTENCES
- OK: “pollution, child labour, and conflict”
- OK: “harmful air pollution, widespread child labour, and conflict between religious groups”
- TOO LONG:
“the difficulty of experiencing harmful air pollution daily, widespread use of child labour that harms young people every day, and conflict between various groups who are competing for political control”
- DO NOT FORGET THE COMMA