#Style - Write a Compare-Contrast Sentence
This page is about compare-contrast sentence patterns, not full paragraphs.
Simple pattern and two examples
- X is very similar to the better known Y in that SIMILARITY, however DIFFERENCE
- The Russian Desman is very similar to the better known mole in that it lives underground and burrows very well, however while the mole cannot swim, the Desmanis very good in rivers. As such it eats fish, whereas the Mole only eats worms and KFC.
- The Green Sea Turtle is very similmar to the better known Box Turtle (which can be seen in any pet shop) in that it is a amphibious fish eater with a hard shell. However, while the EBT grows to no more than 5cm, the GST can be up to 3 meters in length. As such, the Green Sea Turtle would not make a good pet.
Comparisons / Similarities
|Both||A and B||are///can be||expensive|
|Each of||A. B, and C||are||quite expensive|
|can be||relatively expensive|
|A, B, and C||are all||extremely expensive|
|A||is just as||expensive||as B|
|A||is as||as B|
- Like A, B is also expensive
- Just as with A, B…
- Just like A,
- A is expensive. Similarly, B costs a lot
- In the same way,
- In a similar sense,
- By the same token,
- For that matter, so is B
- One thing A and B have in common is expense
- A is similar to B in that both are expensive
- Another way they are similar is that B is expensive
Contrast / Differences
- A is expensive but B is cheap
- , however
- . However,
- , while
- , whereas
- . On the other hand,
- . In contrast,
- , while in contrast,
- In comparison
- , while in comparison
- . On the contrary,
- . Conversely,
- While A is expensive, B is cheap
- Unlike A, B is cheap
- As opposed to
- In comparison to
- In contrast to
- A is cheaper than B
- A is expensive .B, conversely, is cheap
- , as opposed to B, which
- .B, on the other hand,
- , unlike B, which
- A differs from B in that A is cheap
- is different from B in that A
- A is not cheap. In fact, compared to B, it is expensive
- Indeed, compared to B, it is
- For your description paragraph, if I ask you to compare two things:
- If your topic is a word no-one knows
- Compare it with something SIMILAR that I DO know. Help me imagine what it is.
- For example, imagine you are writing an essay about Vaquitas
- COmpare it to the better known dolphin everyone has seen on TV.
- Don’t compare it to cows just because they are distantly related
- Don’t compare it to dugongs - they are closer but people might not know what they look like.
- If your topic is a word everyone knows
- Compare good and bad or areas
- e.g. everyone knows diamonds
- DO NOT compare them to rubies or glass etc. it does not help
- Instead, compare legal and illegal diamonds
- Or avoid comparisons entirely - you have the option to only do a time order.
- The Dugong is similar to the Dolphin in that they are both air breathing mammals that are streamlined for the sea. However, Dugong are fatter, have flatter faces, and eat grass instead of fish.
- Tantalum is similar to steel in both colour and appearance, however tantalum is a transition metal as opposed to a post-transition metal, much rarer, and has a much higher melting point - 3290K compared 933K